Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] An epiphany

I'm a little confused but let's work on it.

"private action 'becomes' public" through the real world effects
represented by changes to shared state

"a complete understanding of the action is only possible in terms of a
public/shared semantics" is OK because public understanding is
accomplished through publicly available semantics.

"you may need description from a ecosystem perspective to facilitate
the sharing of the semantics" -- I would say you must have a mechanism
to explicitly identify your semantics or there is no way to
disambiguate like terms with different meanings, e.g. tank.

"descriptions have a facilitating role not an enabling role" is not
quite right because there is no other way identified for providing
information needed to establish the execution context.  How do you
intend to convey your intended semantics?  Where will folks go to find
policies?  If message exchange, where do I send messages; if not
message exchange, how do we exchange information?

"it is not clear to me how much we need to elaborate the structure of
such a description" -- exactly what needs to be elaborated in what
detail is still an open question, but if the RA is too abstract and
too concise, it will help no one.  We could get away with this once
for the RM but it will even detract from the RM if the RA does not
show real connections with the work people have to do.

"we may well be elaborating it too deeply; a feeling that Danny has
echoed several times" -- at some point we need to go back to our own
first principles for developing the RA and evaluate whether certain
things get too into the weeds and whether other things are still too
in the clouds.  We all have our favorite and lesser favorite
parts :-)  I think there will be a tradeoff in making the document
accessible:  not too long, partitioned in a way that the readers don't
have to hold the whole thing in their heads at once, covering what
will keep our audience engaged.  To this point, we are still debating
individual content.

"Systems of systems of systems is not the same as composition of
services."  But composition of services is one way systems of systems
of systems are themselves composed.

Ken