Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Resource Description (4.1.1.1) and Policies

Title: Resource Description (4.1.1.1) and Policies
Figure 21 or 22, Service Description, in the OASIS SOA RA is expanding on Figure 9, Service Description, in the OASIS SOA RM.

OASIS SOA RM PDF Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/19679/soa-rm-cs.pdf

The focal point of the RM is Service and thus the equivalent association in the RA to Service Description.

Since Service Description is a Description, relating Policies and Contracts to the general Description would still be equivalent.   This update makes sense to me.

Danny

-------- Original Message --------
From: James Odell <email@jamesodell.com>
Date: Thu, January 29, 2009 1:28 pm
To: OASIS-RA <soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,

The Resource Description in 4.1.1.1 is very important, IMO — mainly because most of my SOA systems are really Resource Oriented.  So, I congratulate the team for inserting this.  This is great.

My issue is this: Why is the Policy & Contract class under the Service Description and not the Resource Description?  When the consumers and providers negotiate at the resource level, Policies & Contracts are very important concepts in that negotiation.  In other words, whether I am negotiating for a service or an asset, contracts and policies are part of the discussion.  Therefore, my question is: is there any reason why Policies & Contracts cannot be moved from the Service Description and placed at a more general level: the Resource Description?

Certainly, this will only need 5 minutes of discussion.  ;-)

Best regards,

Jim