Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Resource Description (4.1.1.1) and Policies

Title: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Resource Description (4.1.1.1) and Policies
Hi Danny,

In this case, I do not understand why Resource Description is in the spec.  I assume it is to provide the general Description class from which other more specialized classes can be derived (e.g.Service Description, Participant Description, and so on).  By having Policy & Contract at a more general, makes it available to the subclasses?  Does that make sense?  Or, am I a confused newbie, still.  :-)

-Jim

On 1/29/09 5:09 PM, "Danny Thornton" indited:

Figure 21 or 22, Service Description, in the OASIS SOA RA is expanding on Figure 9, Service Description, in the OASIS SOA RM.

OASIS SOA RM PDF Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/19679/soa-rm-cs.pdf

The focal point of the RM is Service and thus the equivalent association in the RA to Service Description.

Since Service Description is a Description, relating Policies and Contracts to the general Description would still be equivalent.   This update makes sense to me.

Danny

-------- Original Message --------
From: James Odell <email@jamesodell.com>
Date: Thu, January 29, 2009 1:28 pm
To: OASIS-RA <soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org>

 Resource Description (4.1.1.1) and Policies   Hi all,

 The Resource Description in 4.1.1.1 is very important, IMO — mainly because most of my SOA systems are really Resource Oriented.  So, I congratulate the team for inserting this.  This is great.

 My issue is this: Why is the Policy & Contract class under the Service Description and not the Resource Description?  When the consumers and providers negotiate at the resource level, Policies & Contracts are very important concepts in that negotiation.  In other words, whether I am negotiating for a service or an asset, contracts and policies are part of the discussion.  Therefore, my question is: is there any reason why Policies & Contracts cannot be moved from the Service Description and placed at a more general level: the Resource Description?

 Certainly, this will only need 5 minutes of discussion.  ;-)

 Best regards,

 Jim