Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Service & Capability

My $.02:

Capabilities are often associated with Actions in the sense that
Actions represent one set of mechanisms, as we define it, by which
real world effects are realized. In fact, we define Action in a
couple of modes, Joint Action by which listenerss and speakers act
more or less in concert is discussed in 3.1.2 Communication as Joint
Action [sic] Model and shown in Figure 7 on page 27 of the draft
Frank distributed yesterday night.

(Thanks Frank! but wasn't "Model" supposed to disappear there and
appear in 3.1 and 3.3?).

The next section, 3.1.3 discusses how Communication is used in
Service Action, the other major form of Action. Action as a atomic
concept is defined as Ken said. We've been going round and round to
get consistency on this. I think we're getting closer.

However, we also discuss how Capability at a slightly higher level of
abstraction in 3.3.1 Needs and Capabilities where Figure 15 shows how
Capability achieves a Real World Effect. Since that occurs just
before Resources are discussed, I can see where it might seem that we
should delineate the slight difference in the way Real World Effects
are seen to be achieved at the higher level of abstraction, where I
would say that Action is subsumed in Figure 15 as one way in which
RWE is realized. Just above that, in 3.3 Figure 14 Social Action (as
distinct different from Joint [Communication] Action and Service
Action), is also shown as resulting in an RWE. This is likely to be
discussed, but I think its appropriate.

--
Rex Brooks
President, CEO