Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Service & Capability

Title: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Service & Capability
Frank,

Interesting dichotomy between “thick” and “thin” views of service.
Am wondering if we can have both at some level:

Thin view – here, the service virtually exists (i.e., “access a capability and is, ideally, completely transparent.”)

Thick view — from the “outside,” the service does exists — whether virtually or not — and can therefore be referred to as a first-class entity.  How that object exists does not matter, as long as it can be treated as an existing thing.  That is, thick can be thin, and the consumer would not need to know.  :-)

-Jim

On 1/29/09 10:37 PM, "Francis McCabe" indited:

Following on from Ken's intro....

We use action in at least two distinct ways; communication is action and using a service also involves action. I think that there are other layers of action beyond this; involving governance and social structures for example.

From the perspective of an actor in the ecosystem, his interest is in 'getting something done'. Using a service is one of the tools that he may employ to get his needs met. In order for an actor to use a service to get his needs met, he has to engage in communication -- which is also action.

Furthermore, just as communication is impossible without both a speaker and a listener, so service action is also impossible without all the participants -- hence the concept of *joint action*.

As for capability v action, it seems to me that capability is potential action; using a capability is kinetic action.

Although we do commit to message exchange in the RA for service interaction; we do not commit to that in the RM. Because of this, there would be significant push back adopting a communications' oriented view of capability. The *real* (IMO) essence is the potential for crossing ownership boundaries: *he* is asking *her* to do something.

There is some debate about a 'thick' view versus a 'thin' view of services. In the thick view, service is a tangible entity in its own right, separate from any back-end resources. In the thin view, a service is a means to access a capability and is, ideally, completely transparent.

Personally, I think that if you are a software agent executing code that involves using or offering a service, the thin view seems the most appropriate. If you are a manager then the thick view is the most appropriate.

In the ecosystem view, I believe that the thin view of service is dominant. In the realizing view the thick view dominates; and in the owning view it is a mixture.