Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] minimum number of messaging patterns

Thanks Ken,

Nice to know as I contemplate EDXL Situation Reporting, which is due
to finish its pre-submission requirements process in the
DHS-sponsored Practitioners Steering Group and head to Emergency
Interoperability Consortium (EIC) to get ground through the vendor
community process, before landing square in our OASIS EM TC lap.

We've already explored reporting in EDXL-Resource Messaging
(EDXL-RM), which includes reporting and EDXL Hospital AVailability
Exchange (EDXL-HAVE), which is totally reporting. However, SitReps is
another kettle of fish. Sigh. It will be interesting to see how much
of the OODA loop they've picked up from Air Force Colonel John Boyd's
work. Emergency Management actually has a lot of similarity to
dogfights, except the enemy can often be your own infrastructure.
However, you still have to Observe, Orient, Decide and Act hopefully
before the hurricane or tsunami comes knocking.

Fortunately, I didn't expect and didn't want to tackle that level
complexity in the RA, yet. ;-) However, SOA should be very helpful in
taking Critical Success Factor Analysis and applying it to flexible
Decision Support at least at a Rule of Thumb Heuristic level.

--
Rex Brooks
President, CEO