Subject: comments on last week's telecon

Well, my wife broke a wine glass and cut herself, so I sit in the
urgent care clinic waiting for her to get a few stitches.  And as I
sit here, I listen to the mp3 of the last meeting I missed.  I skipped
the epiphany piece and went to trust, and I have a few comments on
that.  I'll listen (actually did listen and comment) to epiphany talk
later.

As for the trust discussion, I agree with most of it but let me add a
few ideas for figure 13 (which I don't have in front of me).  To
answer Frank, the braces having Responsibilities, Goals, Constraints
within each ownership boundary sets the context of action within that
ownership boundary.  I always act to satisfy goals within my context.
My goal can be to accurately represent your goal expressed as your
intent that is transferred across the boundary.  If you believe that,
there is probably a high level of trust.  If I send out phishing
emails, I may understand your intent, but my goal is to separate you
from your money.  Phishing relies on there being too much trust.  So,
in summary, I always act to satisfy my goals and my goal to some
extent may be to see your intent satisfied.  I may have additional
goals that I hope to satisfy at the same time, like making money
(legally and ethically) for my efforts.

Now for the venn diagram, it is not meant to express the overlap
between needs and capabilities but to express how well I can
understand your intent and to what extent I am capable of seeing it
through.  The overlap between your intent  and what you can expect me
to accomplish is probably less than 100%.

Finally, there was mention of adding some of the trust discussion to
governance.  I don't think it belongs there.

Now I'm listening to the epiphany section.  First, we have repeatedly
and explicitly said we never expected you to code from the RA; indeed,
you need a concrete architecture and you design code from that.
However, the RA should provide a consistent basis from which concrete
architectures can be developed.  Second, my original complaint was
that I saw section 3 as a sociology treatise that would completely
lose our audience.  I have become convinced that there are things like
security that really need things in section 3 as their underpinnings;
my position evolved to say we need some things in section 3 but these
need to be explicitly tied to later sections where the section 3
concepts are used.  If the concepts are not explicitly used, parsimony
says they should be dropped.  I think our value falls off
precipitously if we limit ourselves to another overly abstract
document that doesn't have hooks into the concrete world.

re the RM, service was the central concept but we certainly spent a
lot of time talking about all the things that revolve around it -- see
our initial concept diagram with service in the center but the two
triangles around it.  Yes, we were minimalist but we did much more
than just defining service.  But the RM is primarily definitions and
base relationships, and thus the need for the RA.

Time to check on my wife.  Talk with you all tomorrow.

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379