Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] and one more thing on the permission, obligation, ...topics related to policy and trust

Title: Re: [soa-rm-ra] and one more thing on the permission, obligation, ... topics related to policy and trust
Ken,

Thanks for putting pieces and start organizing them.  Didn’t mean to belittle that.  I think you did a great job.

Also, I was not aware of any preceding drama around the term “intent”.  Actually the definition you have below as the “latest” one is a good one.

Cheers,

Jim

On 2/20/09 5:45 PM, "Ken Laskey" indited:

Our problem, again, is we are using up the available strings to which we apply meaning in the English language.  If every word only had one meaning and was used in only one context, this would be much simpler.

But I digress.  My intent here is to identify the pieces and start organizing them.  Intent is one word already pulled in too many directions.  The latest definition in the draft is
Intent

Intent is the relationship between an actor and its goals that signifies a commitment by the actor to achieve that goal.

The definitions I passed around today were pulled together at a time when Frank also had a definition of commitment floating around, so I tried putting together something with both definitions.  Other than a need to note that the actor is part of one or more social structures, I see no problem in using the same definition of intent as used for action.

My major issue on which I need resolution is an agreement on the definition of policy and my proposed way of connecting with governance.  The pieces are already pretty much there and I want to close the loop.

Ken