Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] my voiceover for trust slide 13

Hi folks, I a m bit late to this discussion but I have some 'meat' for Ken to thing about as well.

Frank is absolutely right IMO that P2 might not know about P1 intents. Even more, P2, in presence of intermediary P3, might even not know about existence of P1, the same relates to P1 with regard to P2. This concept of unknown counterparty is used in other patterns such as Pub/Sub and Mediator, for instance. I have two points to talk about in this context.

1. I find that analogous situation exists for service contract when service consumer and service (service provider) communicate via infrastructure intermediary like ESB. That is, since service contract is supposed  a) to b set between consumer and provider, and b) to contain agreed business functionality, RWE and related policies, the intermediary must become transparent in the service contract. If consumer has to invoke end-points that belong to the intermediary, this communication information must be in the contract. Otherwise, when consumer communicates with the intermediary that shields or hides the service, the contract has to be set between the consumer and the intermediary. In the latter case, the intermediary takes all business related information about the hidden service and acts as service agent trying to solicit consumer's interest and to 'sell' hidden service to the consumer.

Following this logic, I can say that the trust between consumer and service is substituted by the trust between consumer and intermediary if the latter hides the service. This trust is associated with the obligations taken by the intermediary on itself with regard to providing for business functionality and RWE that originally were offered by the hidden service. We cannot say 'on behalf of this service' because such intermediary disallows the consumer to know the service.

To be fair, I have to say that not every intermediary hides service from consumers. For example, an intermediary, which provides semantic translation between consumer and service, acts 'in clear' and does not hide interaction participants.

2. To Ken's note - if we consider the mode, which includes a service-hiding-intermediary, we cannot say that P2 intent relates or caused by P1 intent, that 'the intent of P2 will lead to effects that P1 would consider' because P1 has no clue about P2, i.e. no trust is needed between them.

The entire situation with an intermediary becomes tricky in the area of the service contract and linked consumer-service trust. I see the solution only in the mutual multi-party trust model where P1, P3, and P2 are a) aware about all others; b) have trust too all others thought particular trusts or degree of trust may differ. For example, in the process of payment by a Debit Card, the card holder trusts the merchant that it would take only agreed amount of money and take care about the rest of the payment procedure; the merchant trusts the acquirer that transacted payment would be passed to the card issuer reliably and in timely manner, and that the acquirer would arrange the payment to appear on the merchant account somehow; finally, the account trusts the card issuer that transferred transaction would result in the deposit of specified amount of money on specified account (that belongs to the merchant, which is unknown to the card issuer).

I hope this will help Ken 'to rethink' trust related links and dependencies.

- Michael

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Laskey"
To: "Francis McCabe"
Cc: "OASIS-RA RA"
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:45:28 -0500

I'm fine with most of this, including the two modes.  My assertion is that in either mode, P2 has its own intent shaped by its own (or its domain's) goals, objectives, responsibilities, and constraints.  Trust on the part of P1 is the attempt to accurately calibrate the likelihood that the intent of P2 will lead to effects that P1 would consider adequately furthering its intent. If P2 was a bonded courier, it would act in the ambassador role and its being bonded would lead to a high degree of trust that the package will be delivered to P3.

Now, having just written that, I would need to rethink where I am talking about confidence and how it relates to trust.

But not now :-)

Ken