Subject: Need to move efficiently forward

Time continues to slip by and we need to set a path that gets work
done as quickly and efficiently as possible.  We can't afford to write
sections real time, a few paragraphs a week.  So I propose the
following procedure:

1. For new sections, whoever is taking responsibility should sketch
out ideas for discussion and distribute the ideas  no later than the
weekend before the call.  This will give others a chance to review and
ask initial questions.  The ideas and comments can then be discussed
during the call.  Sketching out ideas is optional and the responsible
party can immediately prepare the draft in step 2.

2. The responsible party should draft the section, again distributing
no later than the weekend before the call.  The responsible party
should respond to as many questions as possible and make appropriate
modification before the call.  If there are significant issues raised
via email, the meeting discussion should be postponed until a
reasonable resolution or framing of issues can be done.

3. During calls, the responsible party will collect comments and will
make changes offline as needed.  SIgnificant rewriting real time is
discouraged and wordsmithing during the call will be kept to a minimum.

4. If someone has issues with the draft, these should be sent to the
list and the responsible party before the meeting so the responsible
party has a chance to formulate a response.

5. If someone has significant issues and believes a section requires
rewriting, that person should draft an alternative and distribute it
no later than the weekend before the alternative will be discussed.

The intent of these proposed measures is to get more work done between
meetings and save meeting time for things that make the most of having
people communicating real time.  It also allows people who will be
missing a coming meeting to have a clear picture of what is planned
and to submit comments in advance.

My apologies for getting this out later than I ask in the proposal but
while I've been thinking about this, I didn't get the specifics
together until I wrote this email.

Talk with you tomorrow.

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379