Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] SOA-RA(F) reorganization

Michael,

There are problem, such as Dave Ellis will tell you related to emergency response, where the choreography pattern is vital because you do not know in advance the location and extent of the emergency and thus do not know the resources you will need to orchestrate.

I also don't see the need to change the service with a change in the choreography.  I expect the choreographies are externally maintained patterns.

Ken

On Apr 12, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Mike Poulin wrote:

I am in favour of Orchestration for SOA 10 times more than for Choreography because the latter requires services modification for each new choreography it participates in and this decreases SOA flexibility in adopting business changes. Everything Rex said about events and policies is applicable to Orchestration as well but Orchestration is much cleaner from SO perspectives and much more dynamic. In Yahoo! SOA User group, we have discussed this topic a few times and always concluded the advantage of Orchestration over Choreography for service-oriented environment.

- Michael

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rex Brooks" <rexb@starbourne.com>
To: "James Odell" , soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:47:14 -0700

If we had spent more time on Choreography, where events trigger
policy-based rules for transactions and/or communications, it would
be somewhat easier to pull together a stand alone Policy
subsection. Of course, Orchestration also employs policy-based
rules, but resorting to a Conroller Application removes the
requirement for either human intervention based on judgment
required by rules and assessing state, or some heuristic algorithm.

I'd still just add the standalone policy subsection rather than
eliminating the Policies and Contracts which I think we need for
more reasons than just continuity from the RM.

-- Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design
GeoAddress: 1361-A Addison