Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] SOA-RA(F) reorganization

Bob,
existence of service description, which may be not fully automated, leads to "unprogrammed/authoring/design and development/research activities;" first of all and only then to "transactional/programmed". That is, Bob, I am rather with you than on transitional automation side.

This means that dynamic linking cannot happen as an initial step. In my example with Dynamic Process Edition, all service that might be used dynamically by the process/orchestration are listed in the repository AFTER related CONTRACTS are set (may be manually or off-transaction).

Moreover, I do not think that transaction-based dynamic invocation of arbitrary service is inconsistent with the notion of business trust. That is, business services may not pick-up non-trusted services from UDDI, the contracts have t be set up first (probably, manually, by person).

- Michael

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ellinger, Robert S (IS)" <robert.ellinger@ngc.com>
To: "Mike Poulin" <mpoulin@usa.com>, "Ken Laskey"
Cc: "Rex Brooks" , "James Odell" , soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:37:05 -0500

Michael, Ken:

There is a major missing point in this discussion.  Michael is always talking about transactional/programmed activities of the organization.  Additionally, SOA works for unprogrammed/authoring/design and development/research activities; witness Google, Yahoo, and other search engines.  I submit that the purpose of these nascent SOA concierge services/repositories is to dynamically link (perform Choreography) functions--though the choreography is performed by a person, rather than through a set of business rules (rules that include knowledge rules, event rules, and value rules).  I discussed this concept in a paper I published in the Journal of Enterprise Architecture in 2006/2007.  Still much of the most value laden work is performed by unprogrammed activities (that's what e-mail, word processing, etc. is all about).

Please don't limit SOA to transactions only.

Bob