Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] comments on 20090408 trust

Thanks Frank,

I'm adding my comments inline, after reading
Ken's comments and yours, rather than as replies
to your comments at end. Obviously, I'm tilting
at windmills in a couple of important places.

At 8:58 PM -0700 4/19/09, Francis McCabe wrote:
>Ken
>  Commenting on doc files is v. painful.
>
>  If we need to hash it, it should be in plain
>text. This is from a cut and paste of the
>document (the footnotes have been automatically
>converted!)
>
>3.2.3 Trust and Accountability
>
>An important aspect of the relationship between
>participants in a social structure is the trust
>that they have in their interactions with each
>other. Trust arises in situations where one
>actor interacts with another actor with the
>objective of getting the latter to perform some
>task or achieve some goal on behalf[D1]  of the
>former.

I don't think Trust requires the "on behalf"
clause. Accountability does. I don't think "goal"
applies, RWE does.

Suggestion: "Trust arises in situations where one
actor interacts with another actor and the latter
consents to perform some task to achieve some
Real World Effect in which the former has an
expressed interest."

>Goal Adoption
>
>An actor may adopt a goal as a result of interacting with another actor.
>
>[D2]

There is no need to identify whose goal is
adopted or why, so I think this is fine. How the
goals of the parties align is not our concern in
this definition.

>A consequence of an actor adopting a goal on
>behalf of another actor is that the actor
>becomes accountable to the latter for the
>successful satisfaction of the goal.

Suggestion: "When an actor consents to adopt a
goal on behalf of another actor, the former
becomes accountable to the latter for the
successful satisfaction of the goal.

This is different from Trust because "goal"
applies, not RWE. RWE may be the result or one
result among others. We need to think this
through because I think Trust is based on RWE but
Accountability is based on Goal which may have
several RWEs or none.

>Accountability
>
>An actor is accountable to another actor when
>the former consents to achieve an identified 938
>
>goal.
>
>[D3]
>
>It is important to note that the goal adopted by
>one actor as a result of an interaction need not
>be the same goal as that of the originating
>actor. In many situations, the adopted goal is
>not all the same and may even be contrary to the
>desires of the original actor.
>

>For example, if an actor wishes to use a third
>party to securely transmit a message to an
>interaction partner, the actor needs the
>intermediary to adopt the goal of transmitting
>the message, potentially without even being
>aware of the actual goals involved.[D4]
>

>The foundation for successful interaction of
>this form between actors is their mutual trust
>in each other - counter-balanced by the risks
>perceived.
>

>Trust
>
>Trust is an actor's private perception of the
>commitment [D5] another actor has to a goal
>together with an identifiable set of real world
>effects associated with that goal.

Obviously, I think Trust applies to RWE not goal.
I don't expect to get this position adopted.

Suggestion: Trust is an actor's private
perception of the commitment of another actor to
the Real World Effect(s) specified in a
transaction or interaction.

>Typically, it is not important to know how the
>real world effect may be realized, as the
>specific actions required may be private, but
>the trusting actor believes that these actions
>will be sufficient to result in the goal being
>satisfied.
>

>Trust should not be confused with the simpler,
>more technical concept, of one participant
>trusting that their partner in an interaction is
>who they purport to be. [D6]
>

>Trust Decision[D7]  956
>
>A trust decision is an internal action performed
>by an actor to make a commitment to perform an
>action in the future.

I like this better than Degree of Balance.

>When making a choice whether or not to trust an
>actor many factors may be important - an
>assessment of the trustworthiness of the parties
>involved, an assessment of the risks involved
>and a balance of the merits of making the choice.
>

>Evidence of Trust
>
>Evidence of trust is the set of observable
>assertions[D8]  that a stakeholder may use to
>measure trust.

Suggestion: Evidence of trust is the set of
testable assertions which can be measured in Real
World Effects that a stakeholder may use to make
a Trust Decision.

>Trust is based on evidence available to the
>trusting actor[D9] .  The evidence may be
>physical artifacts or a set of information from
>which the trusting actor can assess the degree
>of trust.  The evidence may include a history of
>can be based on the public reputation reflecting
>the experience of others in dealing with the
>prospective actor.

I'd say "Trust may be based..." Would that it
were so, then we wouldn't have the fiascos we
regularly endure.

>Reputation 968
>
>A social expression of the perception of trust.[D10]

I agree with Ken. Needs to be crisper: Accumulation of observable results.

>Trust is not binary, i.e. an actor is neither
>completely trusted nor untrusted, because there
>is typically some degree of uncertainty in the
>accuracy or completeness of the evidence. Trust
>is based on the confidence the trusting actor
>has in the accuracy and sufficiency of the
>gathered evidence.
>

>The degree of trust exists as a property of the
>trusting actor with respect to another actor or
>class of actors; the reputation of an actor or
>class of actors may predispose the trusting
>actor to a certain extent.
>

>If the trusting actor is aware that actions by
>numerous other actors are required in order to
>realize certain real world effects, the
>collection of trust applicable to each step may
>be considered a chain of trust.
>

>Chain of Trust
>
>A chain of trust is an extended set of trust
>relationships between actors in which one actor
>trusts another by virtue of the fact that there
>is one or more intermediaries that are, in turn,
>trusted by the original trusting actor and also
>trust the target actor.

Agree with Ken. Needs to be tweaked such that
opaque intermediary services are included in the
trust of aggregators.

>[D11]
>
>Typically, chains of trust do not extend very
>far as the issues involved in perceiving the
>true intentions of actors are complex and
>inherently opaque.
>

>Risk
>
>Risk is an actor's private perception that
>another actor's actions will impede the first
>actor's objectives.[D12]

Needs work.

Suggestion: Risk is an actor's private perception
that another actor's actions will result in
undesirable Real World Effects.

--
Rex Brooks
President, CEO