Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - SOA Governance and Management Section (RA Governance Section Structure by RE.doc) uploaded

Jeff:

I've been trying to revise at below and find that, for me, moving the
policy section back effectively guts what I'm trying to do, make it more
readable.  For me both sections and sentences should have verbs and
nouns and should be in an active form.  To me policies and contracts,
which are section nouns (or objects) separated from governance and
management, which are the section verbs, make for a passive section
(policies and contracts) and a section of actions for which there are no
deliverables from the action (unless the reader jumps back and forth
between the sections).  Additionally, policies and contracts have no
context unless they are placed within the organization's governance
framework and process.

Not sure what I should do.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Estefan, Jeff A [mailto:jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:40 AM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - SOA Governance and Management Section
(RA Governance Section Structure by RE.doc) uploaded

Bob,

On the right track here I think, but a few of points about organization
of the RA.

First, we have agreed that our top-level subsections within each view
will be referred to as "models."  This is intended to represent
architectural models.  More on this topic below.

Second, are you recommending moving the Policies & Contracts Model that
was articulated in the Realizing SOAs View to the Owning SOAs View?  I
think the answer is yes, but just need confirmation and Danny, are you
OK with this?

Third, I'm not big on creating a separate section on the generic model
for governance separate from SOA governance.  Readers are going to ask
why are WE trying to define what governance is when there are plenty of
other resources that do a fine job.  There has to be a direct tie to
what we are trying to describe in this RA, which is an architectural
description of the paradigm of SOA.

Fourth, right now, as I read this, the flow is all over the place.
There is generic governance mixed with policies and contracts mixed with
management mixed with SOA governance, etc.  We need to set this up in a
readable flow via models (see next item).

Returning to the point I alluded to in the first item, here's a possible
recommended model organization for the Owning SOAs View with subsections
yet to be identified (to be discussed by the Subcommittee):

Policies and Contracts Model (starting w/Fig 2) Governance Model
(leverages P&C model) Management Model (leverages Gov model) [OR
Governance and Management Model (combined)] Testing Model

Hopefully, a topic for discussion on today's call.

Cheers...

 - JAE