Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] So What is a Service Ecosystem Anyway?

An example of such 'holistic perspective' is a Service Description of the composite/aggregate service that has to encapsulate (somehow) business functionality of engaged services as well as their RWE and SLA. The composite/aggregate service adds some functionality, which is invisible within simple decomposition and analysis of separate (engaged) services.

From: Danny Thornton <danny_thornton2@yahoo.com>
To: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>, Francis McCabe <frankmccabe@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

In section 1.2, we took the definition Rex provided and worked it down to:

"Many systems cannot be understood by a simple decomposition into parts and subsystems – in particular when there are many interactions between the parts. For example, a biological ecosystem is a self-sustaining association of plants, animals, and the physical environment in which they live.  Understanding an ecosystem often requires a holistic perspective rather than one focusing on the system's individual parts."

I agree with Frank that we do not define how it has to be done, but rather provide understanding and predict how it will be done.