Subject: briefs on "real" SOA with trust, governance

Folks,

I am attending an AFCEA conference co-sponsored with George Mason University on Critical Issues for C4I, and there have been a couple plenary presentations that have been exceptional in their vision for what SOA must enable.

The first by Gen. Renuart of North Command went through scenarios from homeland security to disaster relief.  Gen. Renuart emphasized he owns nothing but has begun setting up what I would term coordinations (I won't get into how much is orchestration and how much is choreographies) with other entities ranging from state agencies to Home Depot.  The ability to express intent and work together to predictable goals is paramount.  There was an audience question about trust and dealing with entities who could provide expertise but weren't your classic "friends", and this is seen as a fundamental trade-off and something very much on their minds.

Unfortunately, Gen. Renuart wasn't talking from slides so all you have is my summary.

The second presentation was by David Alberts from OASD/NII and his slides are at http://c4i.gmu.edu/events/reviews/2009/slides/Alberts-slides.pdf.  I don't know how much comes through without the voiceover but the topic was again flexible coordination where classic command and control just doesn't make sense or maybe wasn't ever effective.  The emphasis is in using the appropriate paradigm to organize an effort; agility is being facile in your portfolio of choices.

These are perspectives that Dave Ellis keeps pushing but these presentations made the point in very compelling ways.

Ken

P.S. I presented a "version" of the SOA versioning paper I gave last fall at EDOC and did an appropriate plugging of our work.

P.P.S. I am quadruple booked at noon and am unlikely to make today's call unless everyone breaks simultaneously for lunch.

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379