Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Are we being ignored?

Hmmm, I'm curious how many people off this list have discussed or will
discuss Thomas' manifesto call. He's a great guy with much to contribute
intellectually but shouldn't we be a little more upbeat and confident of
our own work and value? Has anyone actually responded to his call? In
droves..? I suspect not. And each posting we make on the subject is
going to increase his Google pagerank! ;-)

I too think that Frank hit the spot.

Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Thornton, Danny R (IS) [mailto:Danny.Thornton@ngc.com]
Sent: 15 June 2009 08:59
To: mpoulin@usa.com; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

In 2006, I purchased one of Thomas Erl's SOA books because he was one of
the first people with a large volume of information published on the
subject.  I also found the OASIS SOA RM draft about the same time.  I
later purchased a second SOA book of Thomas Erl's to gain more of his
insights.

As a working software architect, I have not used Thomas Erl's books for
SOA.   I have, however, worked with multiple companies and also people
in the government responsible for project oversight who have frequently
cited the OASIS SOA Reference Model.

As far as most developers go, they will not be won over until they have
the tools in hand to help them more effectively get their jobs done on a
day-to-day bases.  Developers are won over by things like the use of
WSDLs to generate clients, being able to use XML schemas to generate
marshalling/unmarshalling code,  automated support for WS-* standards.
I would guess the time horizon for tools to mature to support a full SOA
ecosystem will be around 2020.

I would also guess the OASIS SOA RA will gain traction in a top down
fashion meaning that decision makers with authority to direct funds for
software projects will cite the OASIS SOA RM & RA and developers will
have to know how to respond.