Subject: RE: Before we get too far down this road...

So the emphasis is on willingness to interact.  I do something with the intent of something else happening in response (or concluding a series of responses).

From: Estefan, Jeff A [mailto:jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:30 PM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org RA
Subject: [soa-rm-ra] Before we get too far down this road...

Just want to recap what we said about Willingness in the RM before taking next steps.  We should continue to refer back to this passage as we press ahead.

Willingness

Associated with all service interactions is intent – it is an intentional act to initiate and to participate in a service interaction. For example, if a service consumer discovers a service via its description in a registry, and the consumer initiates an interaction, if the service provider does not cooperate then there can be no interaction. In some circumstances it is precisely the correct behavior for a service to fail to respond – for example, it is the classic defense against certain denial-of-service attacks. The extent of a service participant’s willingness to engage in service interactions may be the subject of policies. Those policies may be documented in the service description. Willingness on the part of service providers and consumers to interact is not the same as a willingness to perform requested actions. A service provider that rejects all attempts to cause it to perform some action may still be fully willing and engaged in interacting with the consumer.”