Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Before we get too far down this road...

At 1:30 PM -0700 6/24/09, Estefan, Jeff A wrote:
>Just want to recap what we said about Willingness in the RM before
>taking next steps.  We should continue to refer back to this passage
>as we press ahead.
>
>Willingness
>
>"Associated with all service interactions is intent - it is an
>intentional act to initiate and to participate in a service
>interaction. For example, if a service consumer discovers a service
>via its description in a registry, and the consumer initiates an
>interaction, if the service provider does not cooperate then there
>can be no interaction. In some circumstances it is precisely the
>correct behavior for a service to fail to respond - for example, it
>is the classic defense against certain denial-of-service attacks.
>The extent of a service participant's willingness to engage in
>service interactions may be the subject of policies. Those policies
>may be documented in the service description. Willingness on the
>part of service providers and consumers to interact is not the same
>as a willingness to perform requested actions. A service provider
>that rejects all attempts to cause it to perform some action may
>still be fully willing and engaged in interacting with the consumer."

The sentence I put in red is the reason I initially devised
Willingness-Determination and Willingness-Factors and put them into
the Communication as Joint Action diagram because I thought that
willingness to communicate is (or can be) different from willingness
to actually perform a service. Even if we don't indulge in processes,
willingness to usually communicate precedes all mutually successful
interactions leading to successful actions, although any number of
actions can be initiated without communication--they just won't be
successful from the SOA Ecosystem viewpoint .

(The guy that outfitted a bulldozer like a tank and went berserk in
some small town in the midwest a couple-few  years ago certainly
committed an action that he might even have considered successful but
which sure didn't make his local economy-ecosystem a happy, smoothly
functioning place).

Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design