Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] RE: Before we get too far down this road...

Jeff,

Copying the Willingness definition again.

Willingness

Associated with all service interactions is intent – it is an intentional act to initiate and to participate in a service interaction. For example, if a service consumer discovers a service via its description in a registry, and the consumer initiates an interaction, if the service provider does not cooperate then there can be no interaction. In some circumstances it is precisely the correct behavior for a service to fail to respond – for example, it is the classic defense against certain denial-of-service attacks. The extent of a service participant’s willingness to engage in service interactions may be the subject of policies. Those policies may be documented in the service description. Willingness on the part of service providers and consumers to interact is not the same as a willingness to perform requested actions. A service provider that rejects all attempts to cause it to perform some action may still be fully willing and engaged in interacting with the consumer.”

Most of the definition applies to interaction but you are correct that the end talks to an action on the part of one participant.  In particular, it associates willingness with the private action of a participant, but I would have to give some thought as to whether I'd want to put on that restriction.  In any case, it is relating to a singular action.

Ken