Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] revised trust, risk, and willingness

Some comments...
 1. The diagram should say that an actor participates in a joint action. You cant participate in an action; you perform one.
 2. The definition of willingness is somewhat circular.

Wikipedia uses this definition:

Willingness: the state of being willing.
Willing: Ready to do something that is not (can't be expected as) a matter of course.
Ready: Prepared for immediate action or use

However, I think that we mean something slightly different:

Willingness: an internal commitment to participate in a joint action.

There is another point that I think is important for SOA:
There is a presumption of willingness based on participation in joint actions. The fact that an actor participates in a joint action may be taken as evidence that the actor was willing to do so. I.e., we do not try to model coercion in our model of willingness. This evidence of willingness ultimately becomes the foundation for non-repudiation: evidence of participation is evidence of willingness, which in turn is evidence for non-repudiation.

 3. The Trust and Willingness diagram draws a trust relationship between actors. I think that they are both inherently ternary relations: trust about some action/outcome. I think that actors assess the evidence to determine their stance to risk and trust.
 We have tended to focus Real World Effect on the effects of service actions: I ask you to do something. But reputation may necessarily have a much broader basis (hearsay, government intervention, etc.)

 4. I do not think that we need to go into chains of trust. For the same reason that we don't do much of service composition.

 5. Consequences of Assessing Trust and Risk repeats earlier stuff.

 6. Trust and SOA: cut down and move to the beginning.