Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Groups - Latest Gold Copy of RAF for SOA(09-09-00011.000.pdf) uploaded

I am working on an article about SOA Governance is, of cause, looked into the Latest Gold Copy of RAF for SOA (see below).

Following section has some problems, IMO,

5.1.1.1 Terminology

2660 Governance is about making decisions that are aligned with the overall organizational strategy and

2661 culture of the enterprise. [Gartner] It specifies the decision rights and accountability framework to

2662 encourage desirable behaviors [Weill/Ross-MIT Sloan School] towards realizing the strategy and

2663 defines incentives (positive or negative) towards that end. It is less about overt control and strict

2664 adherence to rules, and more about guidance and effective and equitable usage of resources to ensure

2665 sustainability of an organization‘s strategic objectives. [TOGAF v8.1]

2666

Particularly:

1) a reference to TOGAF 8.1 is obsolete, we have TOGAF 9 released about a half-year ago
2) we have The Open Group's SOA Governance Framework standard released a couple weeks ago
3) SOA Governance definitions in the SOA Governance Framework contradicts related definition in TOGAF 8.1
4) both of them include 'enforcement' as a governance attribute while we attribute it to Management:

   5.1.1.2 Relationship to Management 2682

   2682 There is often confusion centered on the relationship between governance and management. As
   2683 described earlier, governance is concerned with decision making. Management, on the other hand, is
   2684 concerned with execution. Put another way, governance describes the world as leadership wants it to be;
   2685 management executes activities that intends to make the leadership‘s desired world a reality.
[MP: i.e. governance policy enforcement]

More accurately, Governance defines the enforcement procedure while Management executes it (in this case, an enforcement procedure does not differ from any other governing policy)

I think that 5.1.1.1. has to be refined.

- Michael