Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was: [soa-rm-ra]positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Hi Ken,

A couple of coincidences contributed to helping me find this particular
reference.

1. I had an email breakdown a couple of months back when Eudora on my
Mac broke down. I ended up switching to Thunderbird so I could retrieve
my archives because Mozilla took over from Qualcom when they decided to
cut loose from Eudora, and allow Mozilla to maintain Eudora in open
source. So I had to learn about using Thunderbird, including how to use
the search capabilities, so I could search my archives based on your
name as "From" string, then sort through that set of messages to find
the email, then cross-reference it by date to the OASIS Kavi archives.

2. I took on co-chair duties for the Emergency Management Adoption TC's
Collateral and Documents SC, where we have been tasked with making it
easier to find "Hidden Gems" in email threads and in research
documentation, as well as developing a standard set of documents aimed
at various audiences to support promoting adoption of the EM TC Standards.

We have since included the task of developing ways of supporting OASIS
newbies get up to speed on using OASIS resources.

So we're studying these problems and working on solutions. It turns out
that we have a number of fairly discrete audiences:

    * newbies and non-technical managerial types who need to understand
      why they should use standards and why they should ask their
      management for support resources for adopting standards and
      participating in the standards-development process;  to
    * developers and technical audiences who only want technical details
      and recipes for implementation.

Turns out one size fits none, so we're trying to take a more structured
approach to providing educational and promotional materials as well as
technical documentation.

Looks like there are some practical benefits to the work.

Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design
GeoAddress: 1361-A Addison