Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was: [soa-rm-ra]positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Rex and Boris,

Like both proposed updates.  (Note that departure from Rex's version to Boris' version starts with "Business needs drive..." vs "Business drives...".)

I think the additional distinction of business services being supported and implemented by IT is a useful addition that Boris provides; however, I'm going to beat Ken to the jump on this one and note what he and his MITRE colleagues very eloquently point out in their SOA training materials (see attached slides which are an excerpt from the full deck) and that's the distinction between a "business service" and the ability to bring that service to bear (i.e., a "SOA service").  If we decide to include Boris' additional context to Rex's original proposed update, then we will also need to clearly differentiate "business service" from "SOA service".

Cheers all!

 - Jeff

Caveat_to_Service_Concept.ppt