Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was: [soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Consider if the following -- ideas if not exact words -- is a useful
addition:

Past IT practice focused on developing and deploying specific
technical implementations where the connection to business needs was
intended but not necessarily maintained or updated throughout the IT
artifact's lifetime.  SOA-based systems focus on providing the
functional components and the means to connect these to achieve
operational outcomes.  The value of the components is solely in their
ability to contribute to such outcomes.

Ken

P.S. I have found the distinction between business services (providing
business functionality in pursuit of business outcomes) and SOA
services (providing IT artifacts that facilitate connectivity of
functional units to realize an array of functional capability) to be
vital in keeping discussions focused on one or the other and not
conflating the two.  While I appreciate Jeff bringing this up, I think
it may be overloading what we intend to be a short, crisp argument if
we try to include too much here.