Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was: [soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

See below

-----Original Message-----
From: Lublinsky, Boris [mailto:boris.lublinsky@navteq.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:58 AM
To: Ellinger, Robert S (IS); rexb@starbourne.com; Lublinsky, Boris
Cc: Laskey, Ken; mpoulin@usa.com; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was:
[soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

I have no idea what this means:

"The SOA Ecosystem described in this document must be understood in
terms of its support of business services, which is its environment."

What is which environment?
Business services are the environment of the SOA Ecosystem.

Also:
" Business services provide business functionality in pursuit of
business outcome; while SOA services provide IT artifacts that
facilitate connectivity of functional units to realize and support the
business services."

SOA services is a complete misnomer. Infrastructure I can buy, but SOA
services?
I disagree with that.  The infrastructure provides nothing except an
operating context.  Only when SOA Service (which in my understanding is
a composite application with contractual obligations) provide any value
to the customer.

And finally:
" Business needs drive the development of services delivered through IT,
which provides the capability that satisfies those needs. This is the
business value of SOA."

This has several problems:
1. Business is concerned only with business services and drives their
design, not development 2. What is the business value? What does this
points to?

My understanding of the term development is that it includes design, but
if you want to change it...The value of IT is the same as any other
tool, to multiple the value of the process.
Adam Smith pointed this out in Chapter 1 of Book 1 of the Wealth of
Nations.  This is a point lost on IT as this comment demonstrates.

I think we are digressing.

I hope not.
[soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Hi:

Please try this edit.

Bob

[soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Very minor grammar correction, Boris,

I'm just a nit picker.

;)
Rex

Lublinsky, Boris wrote:
> I haven't seen people discussing my grammar so much lately. I am doing

> something wrong sorry.
> I am fine with managing

Frank: