Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was: [soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Mike, I like the sentence.  Boris, I think that "composable services" is
the correct term.  I've heard many "experts" and "gurus" use the term
and concept since at least 2003 and seems to me to put the "EmFasis on
the rite Silobbal", as my dad would say.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lublinsky, Boris [mailto:boris.lublinsky@navteq.com]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 3:50 PM
To: Mike Poulin; Ellinger, Robert S (IS); Lublinsky, Boris;
soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was:
[soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Composable?

[soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]

Bob,
 this is the phrase:

From a holistic perspective, a SOA-based system is a network of
independent services, machines, the people who operate, affect, use and
govern those services as well as ...

I propose to say: "...a network of independent and composite services,
machines, the..."

- Michael

<boris.lublinsky@navteq.com>, soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] intro discussion for Wednesday [was:
[soa-rm-ra] positioning SOA on the cusp between IT and business]
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:40:28 -0500
>

> There was one sentence that you sent that I could not make head or
tail
> of as I noted.  Otherwise, I thought I had incorporated all of your
> comments
>
> Bob

We
> > talk about business/IT alignment and then define ecosystem
> >
> > The following is my modifications to the text that together aim only
> one
> > statement: "SOA is neither wholly IT nor wholly Business, but is of
> both
> > worlds." Particularly:
> >
> > a) I agree in full with:
> > <
> > components and subsystems. They must be understood within their
> context
> > or environment; particularly, when there are many interactions among
> the
> > parts. For example, a biological ecosystem is a self-sustaining
> > association of plants, animals, and the physical environment in
which
> > they live. Understanding an ecosystem often requires this holistic
> > perspective of the system and its environment rather than one
focusing
> > on the system's individual parts.>>
> >
> > b) I DISagree with << The SOA Ecosystem described in this document
> must
> > be understood in terms of its support of business services, which is
> its
> > environment.>>
> > My proposal is this:
> > << The SOA Ecosystem described in this document must be understood
in
> > terms of its support of business services.>>
> >
> > B.L. See comment above
> >
> > c) I DISagree with << Business services provide business
functionality
> > in pursuit of the business outcome; while SOA services provide IT
> > artifacts that facilitate connectivity of functional units to
realize
> > and support the business services. Therefore, SOA is neither wholly
IT
> > nor wholly Business, but is of both worlds. >>
> > My proposal is this:
> > <
> > outcome, together with its technical realization and support
provided
> by
> > Information Technology. Therefore, SOA is neither wholly IT nor
wholly
> > Business, but is of both worlds.>>
> >
> > B.L. How about:
> > << SOA is neither wholly IT nor wholly Business, but is of both
> worlds.
> > Without involvement of the business, defining service functionality
> > based on the enterprise business model and aligned with the
enterprise
> > business processes, SOA can't fulfill the promise of business/IT
> > alignment and support for flexible, process-driven enterprise.
Without
> > involvement of IT, implementing SOA ecosystem, supporting flexible
> > service deployment, interactions, monitoring and management SOA
can't
> > fulfill the promise of scalable, maintainable IT.>>
> >
> > d) I DISagree with << Business needs drive the development of
services
> > delivered through IT, which provides the capability that satisfies
> those
> > needs. This is the business value of SOA.>>
> > My proposal is:
> > << Business needs to drive the development of services, which
provides
> > the capability that satisfies those needs. This is the business
value
> of
> > SOA.>>
> > or
> > << Business needs to drive the development of services delivered
> through
> > Business and IT, which provides the capability that satisfies those
> > needs. This is the business value of SOA.>>
> >

> > Regards,
> > - Michael

subassemblies.
> > > The process flow, which is part of the execution context, as
defined
> > by
> > > the orchestration or choreography (both of which have business
rules
> > > engines to ensure that policies/standards/business rules/etc. are
> > > followed).
> > >

> > > Business process modeling as instantiated by the assembled of the
> SOA
> > > service components, with the associated business rule, links the
> > system
> > > to the business processes. Provided that the business processes
> serve
> > > the goals or objectives or the business (that is provides value to
> the
> > > business) then the tools as instantiated in the SOA service
> multiplies
> > > the effectiveness of the process.
> > >

> > > The cultural shift involves the fact that when business challenges
> or
> > > opportunities arise, the business processes and SOA supporting
> > services
> > > can meet those challenge because SOA enable agile systems. I
define
> > > agility as "successful response to unexpected challenges and
> > > opportunities." BTW, this is the definition of the Agility Forum
> > (circa
> > > 1990) associated with Lehigh University (that is Nagel and his
group
> > > that wrote the book on the agile enterprise). Currently, the
> > monolithic
> > > architecture of most ERP-like systems do not allow agility, while
> > > functional architecture place emphasis on optimizing for the
> function;
> > > creating silos. There is an axiom in Systems Engineering that
> > > optimizing the subsystems, sub-optimizes the system. SOA enables
> both
> > > optimization and agility of the system, but requires mapping of
the
> > > system to the organization's processes as the price
> > >

> > > I could and have said a great deal more, but I think that is
enough.
> > > The linkage is there for anyone to get the maximum value out of
the
> > SOA
> > > and both the business processes and the composite applications
> > (process
> > > assembled service components???) or whatever operating in the
> > execution
> > > context, must enable and support the processes. As the processes
> > change
and
> > the
> > > composite application must respond quickly and successfully. This
is
> > > not the way it is done now, and that is the cultural change that
is
> > > needed.

understanding

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm-ra/email/archives

Date:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.ph

> > > --
> > > Rex Brooks
> > > President, CEO
> > > Starbourne Communications Design
> > > GeoAddress: 1361-A Addison
> > > Berkeley, CA 94702
> > > Tel: 510-898-0670
> > >

> > > The information contained in this communication may be
CONFIDENTIAL
> > and
> > > is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If
you
> > > are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> > > dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
> any
> > of
> > > its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> > > communication in error, please notify the sender and
delete/destroy
> > the
> > > original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper
> files.

that
> > > generates this mail. Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at:

> > > --
> > >
> > > An Excellent Credit Score is 750
> > > See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!

treport.com/pm/default.aspx?pagetypeid=homepage62&sc=669615&bcd=FOOTER5%

<http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;216722518;39159097;q?http://www.freecredi