Subject: Guidelines to Writing Conformance Clauses and SOA-RAF ConformanceClausesSpreadsheet

Hi Folks,

I uploaded an Excel Spreadsheet of phrases that contain the word "MUST"
in some form, minus a few obviously non-applicable phrases. Some of
these appear to be genuinely intended as Conformance Clauses, though
most are not. However, even some of those which are not, could be, so I
included them. I didn't also include SHALL, SHALL NOT, MUST NOT as
search strings. I did include some MAYs and SHOULDs even though they
were not capitalized and did not appear to be intended as Conformance
Clauses. These MAYs and SHOULDs occurred close enough to the MUSTs, that
it seemed wiser to include them.

This is NOT MY list of candidate Conformance Clauses, nor is it either
comprehensive or exhaustive. I left out the most obvious non applicable
items: definitions, examples and obviously explanatory material.
However, if I thought that someone, particularly the literal-minded out
there in our audience, could turn something into the question "Is this
required?" I included it even if I didn't think it should be included. I
didn't want to be the filter here. I just don't want us to spend time on
finding the phrases that MIGHT be thought to be conformance statements.

I looked at the Architectural Implications, and outside of the ones
included, they did not appear to be useful for the purpose of turning
into a conformance section by saying something like: "Solution
Architectures based on this Reference Architecture Foundation MUST
follow the guidelines outlined in the Architectural Implications Sections.

I did include all Section numbers and indicated the Conformance
Statements that I thought were intended to be such and could be used for
Conformance Clauses with a Yes in the "Is this intended to be a
conformance statement? column.

I also uploaded a Word doc that I created by copying and pasting the web
page on Guidelines for Writing Conformance Clauses
http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html

Sometimes having a document is easier to find and reference than a
website. I think we should all review what the OASIS staff have provided
for us with regard to Conformance Guidelines since our Reference
Architecture Framework does not make the inclusion of a Conformance
Section easy. I provide this to let you all read the material for
yourselves.

Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design