Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Fwd: DM2 Soa Modeling - SoaML Perspective workingmeeting

Hmmmnnn, Slide 4 gets muddy fast, because we don't have the benefit of
the oral presentation to explain it, but I can't tell if this is 2 sub
processes in one general use case or just 2 (or 3) separate processes in
two or three use cases, but in any case the lower example is concerning
because it isn't clear if there is any communication between the two
consumers or they are just independently conducting related transactions
with the air shark shipping company. I really like the air shark, tho.

In any event, when decomposing relatively complex transactions, as the
example goes on to do, I think we need to be very careful that we model
all the details accurately when we get to the point of constructing
concrete architectures where we specify all those details. That means
that we may have to diagram that decomposition down to individual
message exchanges as independent use cases at the most atomic level of
granularity, before we string those atomic interactions together into
the full model. (Note: in those atomic level interactions it is probably
much easier to understand the basic message exchange pattern as a joint
action, if you have to explain it to anyone, e.g. if the parties agree
on their roles in that atomic exchange, it allows them to execute those
roles in a joint action.)

If we get that wrong, we cause more problems than I want to think about.
However, even if Cory explains how joint action applies to the various
processes diagrammed in the component architectures, we have no way of
knowing because we don't have notes on the Notes page view, so it is
almost impossible to infer how he explained joint actions in that first
set of examples.

However, be that as it may, I have no big problems with SoaML, e.g. I
would feel comfortable using it as it is now without a lot questions,
but not without some questions.

;-)
Rex

--