Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] interaction question [was: DM2 + SoaML

I do not think we need to say anything more - the RWE is a good-enough container for whatever effects of the service work. When the service results are used (or the effect materialises) is the implementation detail; the same applies to the transactional service execution regardless if there one or more transactions. One service interaction can produce the RWE that may be consumed in 50 years; so, the number of the transactions or the latency of the service result usage do not affect the service itself. Moreover, the RWE may be targeted to the consumers unknown at the moment (time) of the service execution (e.g. storing super-secret docs).

From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org RA <soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Sun, Nov 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Subject: [soa-rm-ra] interaction question [was: DM2 + SoaML]

This is an exchange with Cory Casanave that is part of the DM2 and SoaML work.  Start from the bottom, as usual, and then consider the following.

Do we need to say more about service interactions where the real world effects can occur long after the passing of messages has completed?  I'm not an expert in the definition of transactions but I don't think of the example I give below (requesting a copy of an explanation of benefits and later paying a fee) as just one "classic" transaction.  If I don't pay the bill and it goes to collection and I dispute it on constitutional terms that get appealed to the Supreme Court, is that one transaction?  Assuming SOA services, when do interactions begin and end?

Ken

Begin forwarded message: