Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Section 3.1 Rewrite

Hi Rex,

I see some difficulties in understanding the phrase: "the service results meet participant needs in a Real World Effect". Before, I understood that the Real World Effect was the result of the service execution. That is, the Real World Effect itself may or may not meet the participant needs. The Real World Effect may have much wider effect than just the result returned to the participant as a response to its request, yes, the Real World Effect does not exist on its own, IMO:

<<for ensuring that the service results meet participant needs in a Real World Effect>>

In the Ken's edition:

<<for ensuring that the service results meet participant needs as manifest in Real World Effects>>

I guess the word 'manifest' should be read as 'manifested'. Am I correct?

From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org RA <soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2010 2:13 am
Subject: [soa-rm-ra] Section 3.1 Rewrite

Hi Everyone,

This is my first shot at rewriting Section 3.1. I have one main consideration that I wasn't sure about. Does Section 3.1 refer only to Subsections in 3.1, or does it also refer to Sections 3.2, 3.3, etc? I dealt only with issues in Section 3.1-3.1.4.1.

I deleted the example in the 3.1 because I thought it muddied rather than clarified issues when what is needed is to set the stage for the discussion of Actors, Action, Joint Action and Communication as Joint Action. It tended to get the reader engaged with explanatory details immediately and for me that was a distracting rather than clarifying.

However, in rereading the whole section, I felt strongly that the explanation of Service Action as a specific kind of Action and the Counts-As logical equivalence needs an example that we all agree shows these critical elements clearly.

-- Rex Brooks
President, CEO
Starbourne Communications Design
GeoAddress: 1361-A Addison