Subject: Feedback on Updated Sect 3

Frank,

Read through your updated Section 3 and, overall, I though the updates looks very solid.  Couple of items of note below that we can discuss on the next call and as we begin to tackle the issues list items for this section.  These line numbers are based on the soa-ra-pr-6-29-10.docx revision.

1.       Line 629.  Fig 3 needs to be updated to reflect two models now instead of the old three models

2.       Line 712. Sentence that begins “However, we do not need to delve..” is overly complex and recommend dropping.

3.       Line 936.  Proposition is in bold text but is not formally defined.  Needs formal definition.

4.       Line 1043.  For consistency, change “SOA-RM” to “Reference Model”

5.       Line 1069.  For consistency, change “eco-system” to “ecosystem”

6.       Line 1116.  Should “goals” be “objectives” here since you’ve now introduced the notion of objectives and the concept of goals is not introduced until later in sub-section 3.2.2?

7.       Line 1134.  Similarly, should Goal in Fig 15 now be Objective?

8.       Line 1134.  An “Event” does not report on “Effect” but rather Event Notifications do.  However, we cannot change this to Event Notification in the figure because this would violate the Actor to Event named association of “may be aware of”.  This needs resolution.  One way or another, we have to fix the relationships here.  More about this later.

9.       Line 1141.  Recommend adding “measurable” between “is a” and “real world effect”.  It is usual convention that objectives are measurable.  I know later you introduce goals and have goals as measurable but this is not traditional convention in which goals are typically long term statements of intent that may or may not be achieved and objectives are measurable steps toward trying to achieve goals.  We’ll need some consistency here.

10.   Line 1145.  Again, shouldn’t “goals” be “objectives” here?  Perhaps a holdover from the earlier document.

11.   Line 1164.  Is this consistent with the RM definition of Real World Effect?  On lines 1158-59 you introduce a new concept of “Effect” and here differentiate it from Real World Effect.  We’ll need to discuss this on a future call.

12.   Line 1169.  Add “notification of” in between “by means of” and “events”

13.   Lines 1170-71.  This is not a correct definition of Event.  An event is a notable thing that happens.  Recommend introducing a formal definition of Event earlier (before Line 1169) and changing line 1170 to “Event Notification” and keeping the definition you have on lines 1165-66 to formally define Event Notification.

14.   Line 1178.  Change “an event that reports” to “a notification of an event that reports”

15.   Line 1189.  Why is the third occurrence of joint action in this sentence shown in bold blue text?

16.   Lines 1193-95.  This definition of Choreography is different than what we just agreed on for Section 4.3.4.  We  need to be consistent or more precise.  This could mean we change the 4.3.4 term to “process choreography” or a similar variant, in which case, that might ripple into having us change orchestration to “process orchestration” but I’m not too keen on that idea.  Another topic for discussion.

17.   Line 1232.  The English in this sentence does not make sense to me.

18.   Lines 1235-39.  Here you use “measurable” and that should be associated with the earlier introduction of “objectives”.  Again, a topic for further discussion.

19.   Line 1454.  Add, “i.e., delegates” after “automated actors”

20.   Lines 1516-1544.  I’m not convinced on this notion of “service action”.  This section will require further discussion.

21.   SIDEBAR:  I thought the willingness, trust, and risk discussion was very good.

22.   Finally, I see you are using the convention of bold type for keywords in the RAF.  This means we’ll have to do the same in the other sections; however, there are several instances even in the new Sect 3 (that I’ve noted on my hardcopy) that are not consistent in its use.  Kind of a pain in the neck actually.  So we should talk about a convention we can all live with on a future call.

Again, overall, I thought the updated write-up looked pretty solid.

Cheers…

 - Jeff