Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] SOA RA Management Section

Ken,

 have two comments that may be addressed to Dan as well:

1) SOA ecosystem consists of multiple services each of which may have its own Life-cycle Management and the Life-cycle itself, as you mentioned already. I think that Life-cycle Management of SOA ecosystem is not needed more that SOA Governance  defines for each individual service.

2) to my understanding, "a description of the dependencies" does not belong to the SOA Management but to the Service Description and/or service functionality (not all dependencies may be visible in the Service Description). Design of the service functionality (articulated in the Service Description in addition to the RWE) must take care of scalability in dependencies if needed, i.e. this design should be aware of the level of scalability provided by directly engaged services. Further scalability of 'services of my services' is immaterial to me, it is responsibility of the services I engage explicitly.

From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: 'Hestand, Dan' <phestand@mitre.org>; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Mon, Sep 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Dan,

Thanks for getting this out.  In general, it seems pretty consistent with
what else we've been saying throughout the PR2 document, but I'll leave it
to those more involved in management to debate details.

The one part where I'd like some clarification is Lifecycle Management.  In
particular, are you saying there has to be be one lifecycle used by
everyone?  From current experience with numerous agencies, I know that will
not fly.

When you talk about "managed capabilities applicable to a SOA ecosystem",
can these be structure or underlying assumptions that guide specifics
generated by individual organizations, with the intent of having some
consistency in what is generated and how it is represented?  For example,
Lifecycle Management in concept may be fundamental but different groups may
have different defined lifecycles or different levels of detail for specific
parts of the lifecycle, e.g. developers having more development details.
Management could define "requirements" of a lifecycle without specifying THE
lifecycle.

One other point: when you talk about "a description of the dependencies", to
what extent is this hidden by opacity?  A provider says a service average
availability over, say, a 4 wk period will be at least 92%.  The provider
knows its dependencies and states 92%, and the consumer trusts that number
(or not) based on information that is limited in detail at some level.
Furthermore, if A depends on B and C, and B depends on D and E, and C
depends on ..., stating "all" dependencies doesn't scale.  Where should we
have visibility and where does opacity set in?

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:
703-983-1379