Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] A thought for S3

Frank,

I have  a couple of concerns:

- Any material needs to be adequately explained.  Any reorganizing of S3 and additional material -- at least, connective material for shuffled pieces --  takes time and delays finishing.

- We spent an hour last week on a couple definitions as you explained how these fit with the foundations of Logic.  Most of our audience is unlikely to have that background and will not have the benefit of personal explanations.  Again, this points to the need for a significant level of explanation and the time to write it.

- Material that is written for S3 needs to be reviewed.  As you get into the technical beyond the background of many of us, I'm concerned we don't have the resources for adequate internal review.  More than that, this group will be the leading evangelists of this work and we have to be able to answer questions from our audience and ourselves be able to provide additional explanation.  I'm certainly concerned about my ability to do that and I assume that applies to others.

- A PhD in Logic requires a different level of ability to read and understand material than an undergraduate course.  The PhD material is certainly more accurate and more complete but the undergraduate text is sufficient for its purpose.  We need to identify the level for which this is being written and do a good job of writing to and being consistent with that level.

- We need to work Management.

Frank, we closed out the RM by having several hours of discussion, realizing there was no way to adequately get that discussion into the RM and we reduced several pages to several paragraphs.  Use of and reference to the RM by others would indicate we weren't perfect but did a pretty good job.  We need that for the RA.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                             fax: 703-983-1379
From: Francis McCabe [fmccabe@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:23 PM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org RA
Cc: Danny Thornton
Subject: [soa-rm-ra] A thought for S3

I have been ruminating a little on the issue with assertions, policies, goals, etc. etc. in S3.

I think that it may be worth factoring out the semantics aspects of the ecosystem view into a separate model. Thus, you would have three models in S3:

The Social Structure Model

Acting in a SOA Ecosystem Model

Semantics in a SOA Ecosystem Model

The last model would bring together the semantic aspects of the ecosystem:

assertions = proposition + 'force'

fact = proposition + belief

policies = proposition + enforcement

goal = proposition + desire

purpose = proposition + use/role

proposition = syntax + vocabulary + decision procedure

In addition, there would have to be a big message in the beginning of S3 (in bold flashing letters) that a linear exposition is not possible, hence the profligate use of hyperlinks.

I think that semantics is actually pretty important in SOA. What this model does is highlight the different ways in which semantics plays a role in the ecosystem. It also shows that it is not 'one thing' but a related set of concepts.

Comments?