Subject: what constitutes architecture?

Recent discussions have raised issues on the completeness and normative status of the models in the RAF.  Frank’s assertion is: "The bottom line is an essay or a white paper is not architecture."  I would like to explore that.

-    We agreed that the architecture would follow the views and viewpoints of IEEE-1471.  IEEE-1471 mentions Architecture Products but it does not specify what these products must be.

-    We agreed to create UML models, but this was our decision and not based on a level of conformance with some other specification.

-    Most architecture documents with which I often deal are mostly essay and white paper with a few diagrams thrown in.  Our work is already orders of magnitude more precise than almost all the alternatives.

It would appear that UML diagrams are a tool for us, and the higher level of expression was our choice and not a recognized external requirement.  There are places, such as the testing section, that were vetted over a period of weeks and where adding additional models was one of many action items that got lost.  A question now is whether the effort required to add models will significantly enhance the current content or whether the effort is best used elsewhere.

Thus, I suggest we not be diverted by a false exercise in consistency of representation and rather concentrate on the primary challenge:  a clear, concise exposition of a SOA Reference Architecture.  If we wish to complete this project in our lifetimes, we do not have the luxury of refining areas that have been stable for years.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379