Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Comments on Section 5.4 SOA Testing Model

By coincidence, I've just finished reviewing an NCOIC Service Interface
Pattern, a solution model. In that Pattern we are specifying that a
Service Interface (mostly user-facing at this point though I have lodged
an issue asking for an API version for aggregators/integrators) MUST
supply a test harness. I capped the word "must" as an RFC 2119
Conformance Statement. So my position wrt RAF is that the foundation for
a testing requirement at the solution level is required.

However, I don't want it to be specified as thoroughly as it is
currently. I think we have overspecified, and if we leave it this way, I
will have to recommend that the testing piece of the RAF not be followed
in its entirety but only to the extent that it can be used as the basis
for a test harness. I think software engineers know how to build test
harnesses, or else I would recommend against using whomever does not
have that capability.

Note, the Services WorkGroup is currently using and recommending the
RAF, so I'd rather not have to start equivocating about how to use it,
but if that's necessary, that's what I'll have to do.