Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] revised diagram

It appears we've lost the focus of what was originally identified as the
problem and what was asked for in the way of a solution.  Referring to the
7/28 line numbers:

Lines 655-657: definitions of Purpose, Goals, Objectives, Intent are
scattered throughout this section.  It isn't clear that it is necessary to
explicitly discriminate between all of these, but it would be easier to
understand the differences if they were all defined in one place and then
used consistently.  A unifying model would also be useful.

Lines 803ff: definitions of Right, Authority, Commitment, Obligation,
Permission, (do we need Prohibition?) are scattered throughout this section.
It isn't clear that it is necessary to explicitly discriminate between all
of these, but it would be easier to understand the differences if they were
all defined in one place and then used consistently.  A unifying model would
also be useful, especially to illustrate lines 817-820.

This lead to my collecting definitions and trying to identify
inconsistencies and overlaps.  During that exercise, I specifically
identified pairs of concepts that appeared redundant
- purpose vs. goal
- permission vs. right
- obligation vs. responsibility
- promise vs. commitment

When reading the 11/9 text, many things were not changed and those that were
didn't strike me as adding clarity.  In addition, on reading the text, I
don't believe we are really clear in our use of commitment vs. obligation.

Why is it so hard to create a consistent model that has Purpose, Goals,
Objectives, Intent?  Why is it so hard to create a consistent model that has
Right, Authority, Commitment, Obligation, Permission?

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:
703-983-1379