Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] revised diagram

1. The diagram was not in response to the issues you refer to.

2. The pairs of concepts:

> - purpose vs. goal
> - permission vs. right
> - obligation vs. responsibility
> - promise vs. commitment

are not redundant. There have been some reformulations of definitions in order to clarify them. They also deserve individual responses:

> - purpose vs. goal

purpose is external, goal is internal

As in "the purpose of this brick is to hold up the bridge" and "the goal of the bridge authority is to ensure free flow of traffic".

> - permission vs. right

There are multiple issues here. The terms come from different ontologies: permission comes from an ontology focused on policies, right comes from an ontology focused on social structures (specifically roles).

A pop distinction would be that right is a permission that is part of a role; i.e., a permission that is 'sanctioned' by a social structure.

In example: "You have the right the remain silent ... " refers to a permission originating from a social structure.
In contrast, "I give you permission to open the envelope"

> - obligation vs. responsibility

This too is similar to permissions and rights. In this case there is actually a third concept to consider: accountability.

"You are responsible for ensuring free flow of traffic"

"You are obliged to accept this summons"

> - promise vs. commitment

A promise is characterized as a fact about the future; but does not imply personal obligation/responsibility:

"I promise it will rain tomorrow"

compared with

"I commit to ensuring rain tomorrow"

There is a substantial issue about where these definitions should be located. On reflection, I do not think it is a good idea to have them them all in one place - for reasons that we discussed: to do so would destroy overall presentation.