Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Action (private action, public action, joint action) andState (private state, shared state, RWE)

I also do not try to open a new discussion and write message to clarify some things to myself ( and may be not to myself only).

There are three major topics in discussion: RWE, Action/Joint Action and RWE of Action

For the RWE:
the major point of possible disagreement on my side is in that I assumed that the SOA ecosystem state and RWE are tangible 'things'. Thus, if an action does not result in a tangible result, there is no RWE and no change in the ecosystem. This relates, e.g., to a case where the service denies request (I can easily demonstrate such scenario based on our definitions) and no tangible results are produced. However, if ecosystem state and RWE include intangible values like intent or willingness, ANY/EVERY action produces RWE because intangible values may change (even in the case of request deny) as the result.

So, is SOA ecosystem state and RWE are tangible only, may be intangible, ecosystem state intangible while RWE tangible,  ecosystem state tangible while RWE intangible? If any  one of them may be intangible, do we know how to measure it? Value Network Analysis offers methodology for identifying intangible but still cannot measure them.

For the public/private Action:
The classification of public/private Action and related part of the Joint Action depends on the viewpoint: if this viewpoint is from SOA ecosystem, there may be NO PRIVATE actions - everything happening in the ecosystem is visible to the ecosystem; if this viewpoint is from consumer-service, there may be private and public actions because from this viewpoint the fact of action is not that interesting as the content of the communication messages and the content of the service internal operations. I have an impression that the spirit of entire document is about the latter rather than about the former viewpoint.

If we look at these things from the enterprise, then Peter's diagrams are almost correct besides the presence of private action and private state - there are no such things in the ecosystem. If we look from consumer-service perspectives, my comments are in force because service interaction may be fully private.

If we state that the service, the consumer and the service provider are IN the SOA ecosystem, how ""Any Actor may also engage in private actions as part of responding to a Joint Action" staying in the ecosystem? The ecosystem sees everything (recall a Big Brother) :-)

IMO, we have to either choose the viewpoint or explicitly explain which one is used for particular definition ( and why we do not have the definition for another viewpoint).

For the RWE of Action:
I do not understand the reasons for this conclusion: " So, as introduced, Action Level RWE and Service Level RWE have nothing to do with Service Action and Communicative Action." To me, the logic is straightforward: a Communication Actions (that may produce intangible RWE) triggers, at least, one Action in the Service and, if it is only one Action (like 'ignore request because it is not agreed in the Service Contract'), this Action = Service Action for this case. Since the Action creates Action level RWE, the Service Action creates the Service level RWE, and this is happening BECAUSE of the Communication Action. If this means 'have nothing to do', then what means 'have to do'?

This is it for now :-)