Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] execution context and service description

+1 to If we model EC in SD via externalised document/file similarly to XML Schema (available via URI and not explicitly embedded into an XML document), we may have a pattern for EC, SLA and service contracts.

Work that I’ve done on description templates have a lot of links.  If external documents have sections or other identifiable chunks clearly marked, we could build tools to bring in the referenced material and create a snapshot of the current description without being dependent on a network to follow links.

Ken

From: mpoulin@usa.com [mailto:mpoulin@usa.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:11 PM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

I am not sure that service description (SD) has to contain all SLA, policies and all elements of EC as is; instead, they may be stored and managed in dedicated repositories and referred from the SD. In this way, we can have an EC-document similar to 'tech. requirements' of any SW product in the market but extended by the set of applied policies and tested/certifired compliance to regulations.

If it is more or less clear that technical EC might be the same in Africa and Europe (machines, OS, networks, etc.), it is not true for business policies: every locale may have its own laws and related policies even in the countries of EU or US States (example: a local law about personal data in California vs. other States). So, all business policies applied to the service have to be mentioned as well.

If we model EC in SD via externalised document/file similarly to XML Schema (available via URI and not explicitly embedded into an XML document), we may have a pattern for EC, SLA and service contracts.

(A service has to have as many SLA as the number of its public interfaces including communication protocols). Since it is a commonly recognised need that the service policies better be stored in special Policy Repository, we can either use this Repository for EC or propose a dedicated EC Repository.

What do you think?