Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Re: notes from today's call on SOA management

Actually not quite.

Different QoS will require different service deployment and consequently end points. Now its up to the service provider to define them as two different services or two different endpoint.

From: mpoulin@usa.com [mailto:mpoulin@usa.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 1:16 PM
To: soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

I was reading the section about service description (for my current work) and found a statement, which I am not sure how to understand:

2004 Recall, more than one service can access the same underlying capability, and this is

2005 appropriate if a different real world effect is to be exposed. Along these lines, one can

2006 argue that different QoS are different services because getting a response in one

2007 minute rather than one hour is more than a QoS difference; it is a fundamental

2008 difference in the business function being provided.

2009 As a best practice, a criteria for whether a service is appropriately scoped may be the

2010 ease or difficulty in creating an unambiguous service description.

To my understanding, the statement "it is a fundamental difference in the business function being provided." is simply wrong! More accurately, it is very programmer's perspective: a business function is the same in USA and in Africa, performed by a laser or a pistol... Function is function. If one consumer wants the business service response in 1 min while another consumer prefers it in 1 hour, function does not change because of this.

QoS makes sense only in the context of the Service Contract.The statement saying that "different QoS are different services" is a nonsense - it is rather a good or bad service, not a different service (this politically correct service of "different abilities" is a lie to yourself).