Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Re: notes from today's call on SOA management

Unfortunately, Ken, I cannot agree here.

I do not see a need for the entire sentence that I put in bold. It brings much more problems than answers. Still, "different QoS are different services" is a nonsense.

I am not saying that service=function. Moreover, one function may cause many different services. However, two services that implement the same function and provide for the same RWE are redundant, i.e. may be taken one instead of another (this is what implementation of the principle of business continuity is based on).

From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: mpoulin@usa.com; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Sun, Mar 6, 2011 8:33 pm

Michael,

My intent here was to point out that saying two services are the same except for a, b, c, d, … makes it impossible to describe a single service except through large chunks of text, and this makes discovery very difficult unless you are prepared to read and understand the all this text.  Additionally, if we get into large chunks of text, it makes it very difficult to parse the differences between two similar services from two different providers.

What constitutes a service is much more than its function.  It also has to do with more specifically what real world effects result from an interaction, what are the conditions of use, and what are the operational characteristics.  These are things description has to concisely and unambiguously convey.

I don’t believe we yet have a formula for evaluating what constitutes a “good” service.  My major point was if you can’t concisely describe a service, you should question whether it is tightly enough scoped.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508