Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] another pearl

Michael,

Go back to the RM.  It definitely states agreements.  A service description can point to a default set of conditions, e.g.  policies, semantics, response time, but the EC is when the consumer, even if just a click-through, accepts those conditions.  How this is all done in general is an art form to be developed.  However, we want to make sure that we don’t lose through coupling of policy agreements what we hopefully gained in a looser technical coupling.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508

From: mpoulin@usa.com [mailto:mpoulin@usa.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2011 7:10 PM
To: Laskey, Ken; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

To me, it seems we are talking two (at least) different things.

Understanding of the policy (assuming agreement on the ontology and semantics) has nothing to do with agreement with the policy. When a service provider issues a service, this service is supposed to work as announced in particular EC. At this time, the provider does not ask any consumer to agree with the EC. Moreover, consumers when read Service Description and learn about referred EC may or may not agree with it - this is not about agreement but about information. This is why the consumer can/may use the service in different EC than the one announced in the service description.

EC exists, IMO, outside of the service and service description (but referred in the latter). EC is not the set of policies enforced by the service provider on the consumer with regard to interaction; EC is the environment characteristics expressed via policies. To me, saying that "this collection of agreements ... establish the execution context" is very confusing.