Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] One-pager

+1

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks <rex.brooks@ncoic.org>
To: peter@peterfbrown.com
Cc: 'Bashioum, Christopher D' <cbashioum@mitre.org>; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Mon, Mar 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks Peter,

Good to hear your understanding has broadened.

On 3/10/11 11:59 AM, Peter F Brown wrote:
Just a couple of comments following further discussion with Chris.

We realise that we have had two ways of approaching and understanding ‘joint action’: As a set (UML ‘composition’) of actions performed by a number 2 to n actors to achieve a distinct result
-          where none of the individual actions are really meaningful (‘three guys helping together to move a heavy desk’ – if each one offers a bit of effort at different times, doesn’t achieve the desired result)
-          where each of the individual actions may be meaningful at that level of granularity but the desired result is that seen from the higher level, the overall result
We agree that joint action should be understood in the second, broader, sense. I admit to having been hung up more on the first, narrower sense.
Both actions and RWE are ‘fractal’ in nature, in the sense that they can often be broken down into more and more granularity depending on how you examine them and what level of detail is important.
My joint action with a furniture company will be to buy a desk and have it delivered and set up in my office. There may be detailed joint actions to achieve this and each of those may be decomposed further…

In terms of the prose, we need therefore to say something along the lines of:
People cannot always achieve desired results on their own; that’s why they look for help/services provided by others, using resources beyond their ownership and control; They identify other parties with whom they think they can interact to achieve their objective; They thus engage in joint action with those others in order to bring about the desired outcome; the SOA ecosystem provides the environment to make this happen.

Peter