Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Action Model One pager.... revised

Well, I do not have objections for three types of actions: a general one, a JA "as action between 2 or more actors", i.e. 2 or more people, and service (execution) actions.
This list does not include actions related to communicative interactions between consumer and service as well as within the consumer itself regarding the service invocation (particularly, preparation to the invocation, acceptance of the response from the services and potentially conversational actions with the same service instance). Why we exclude them is not clear to me.

I think that including ALL actions started within the consumer that involved service and its actions for the same shared purpose - obtaining RWE - may be collectively named JA. Any exclusions will require explanations. In the UML view, the diagram can show an Action as a general type, JA as generalizing the Actions and, simultaneously containing (composing) consumer's actions, communication actions and service actions grouped by logical service invocation.

What I certainly disagree with is the expressions like “interactions to establish the EC”; ES, IMO, does not need any interaction, it is established by the service provider for each service separately and independently from any consumers.

From: Laskey, Ken <klaskey@mitre.org>
To: peter@peterfbrown.com <peter@peterfbrown.com>; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org <soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wed, Mar 16, 2011 11:24 am

So I believe the pushback -- certainly from me -- is that the "invoking" is the
joint action and what the provider does to realize the RWE is largely unknown
and independent of the consumer.

The unanswered question is whether interactions to establish the EC are also JA.
I'm sure Rex would say yes.  I don't think this is a significant problem or
complication because it just emphasizes that most of SOA is dealing in
community.  This raises the significance of trust and willingness and the fact
that, especially across ownership boundaries, execution context cannot be taken
for granted.  Consistent policies and semantic engagement are just as important
as getting the endpoint right.  I think this is the message of the ecosystem
view.

I am still left with the question of how JA relates to Action.  Right now, I'm
leaning toward Action as only being a part of the Action Model and JA being the
ecosystem interactions.  That leaves the sticky problem of how action is then
the "application of intent".  I cringe at the idea of bringing back service
action as what's in the Action Model, but that is a possibility.

So we'd have Action as something general, JA as action between 2 or more actors,
and a separate (service) action that is what the consumer asks the service to do
to realize the described RWE.

Still not neat and clean but I think the direction we need to go.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                             fax: 703-983-1379