Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] Management Model section after comments of this week

See below:

From: mpoulin@usa.com [mailto:mpoulin@usa.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:44 AM
To: boris.lublinsky@navteq.com; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Boris,

I think that our task is not to set a status of "disagree" but to find a solution to resolve the disagreement.

1.     About Event Manageability. It seems to me that "service invocation manageability" might work because I certainly do not want to manage events that may be even outside of SOA ecosystem. Also, I do distinguish (despite of EDA vision) between the event and reporting of this event. A consideration I use is this: if nobody (in given realm) listens to/monitors the event, this does not mean that the event has not happened; one event may cause another event  - a sad example: an earthquake causes a tsunami - and, if we discard the initial event as non-existed but we recognise the caused event, we have to deal with things without reasons, out of the blue, which is not natural and unacceptable to me.

So, an events selection manageability is a sort of a view inside and outside the SOA ecosystem for the service invocation triggers.

What does service invocation manageability means – what does it manage exactly?

2.     I do respect IBM’s viewpoint but they proofed they are not very fast with changes and they still take SOA service as a Web Service in several of their even modern applications and papers while others (e.g. Dr. Marc Fiammante)  are quite in synch with what we do in OASIS.

So, a service, even a composite or aggregate service depends only on functionality it needs from others. Considering an explicit contracts and a possibility of the trusted realm, a service (and its implementation like a process)  may not and do not need to know who actually provides required functionality.

By Combination or Composability Management I mean (but may be did not use proper words to articulate) a management of service capabilities to be used in the combinations or to combine others for providing solution for common task. (This is a basic service property, that does not need to be managed) This, particularly, includes: special relationship between business  services and Data Services / Data Access Layer (I thought we agreed that services are always business services.), enforcement of policies related to the granularity of interfaces, management of information stores/repositories for meta-data, management of the processes and procedures – development and run-time – that result in new service combinations (which may include as integration as testing aspects), (I am sorry, but first this is a kitchen sink, and second those a design concerns, which are not quite subject of manageability) and so on. I hope, you’ve got the picture. Configuration management may also take place among others in this domain but, IMO, it is certainly not the major one.

3.     The last one – management of business performances – do require and use SLA and SLA management but the letter is not always a visible part of the former. This is why I put them separately: the SLA management can still be provisioned at many different levels (including pure technical ones) while management of business performances may be more laid around business KPI. I am not saying that they are the same. I am saing that they are related.

What do you think?