Subject: Feedback/review comments against Sect 5 (against GOLD STANDARD -2011-04-30)

Ken,

Here are my brief feedback/review comments against for Sect 5 of the RAF spec revision entitled “GOLD STANDARD - 2011-04-30”.  Rather than make the updates and create yet another gold source copy, I figured it would be best to simply provide the comments and let you or Peter handle the integration of the updates from mine and everybody else’s from the subcommittee for this two week review period.  Next, I’ll turn my attention to Sect 4.  Hope to get comments back in a week and wrap this business up.  I’ve already provided comments for the other earlier sections (1 through 3); some show up in the referenced gold source while others (e.g., Sect 3 updates) have already been incorporated by Peter and Chris.

Cheers...

- Jeff

Feedback on Sect 5 against GOLD STANDARD - 2011-04-30:

Line 2912:  Change “Owning Service Oriented Architectures View” to “Ownership in a SOA Ecosystem View”

Line 2914:  Change “Owning a SOA-based system” to “Owning a SOA-based system in a SOA Ecosystem”

Line 2915:  Recommend replacing double hashes (--) with em dashes (—) for sentence fragment “such as Enterprise suites”

Line 2923:  Change “Governance of SOA-based systems” to “governance and management of SOA-based systems”

Line 2924:  Change “SOA-based system and the management challenges” to “SOA-based system, and testing challenges”

Lines 2965 to 2978:  Check the paragraph line spacing.  It is not consistent with the rest of the document.  It looks much tighter/smaller.

Line 2994:  Need to correct broken cross reference.

Line 3421:  Need to correct broken cross reference.

Line 3507:  The class diagram depicts the concepts of “Speaking Action” and “Listening Action” which have since been dropped from Sect 3.  Perhaps we should drop them here.  These concepts are not mentioned in the paragraphs that follow the figure so they could be dropped without impacting the supporting narrative.

Line 3784:  Drop this line since the figures have been re-drawn in this latest gold source.

Line 3901:  Drop this line since the figures have been re-drawn in this latest gold source.

NOTE:  MISSING FROM THE MANAGEMENT MODEL.  AN ARCHITECTURAL IMPLICATIONS SUB-SECTION.  WE HAVE ONE FOR THE OTHER THREE MODELS (GOVERNANCE, SECURITY, & TESTING).

Line 4350:  COMMENTARY:  This entire sub-section would make an excellent white paper and is a bit long-winded for this spec IMHO.   Could be shortened by a factor of 2, again, IMHO.  Also missing a few supporting class diagrams.  Probably will not have time to update prior to public review but still wanted to make note this commentary.

Lines 4351 to 4353:  Please drop this quote as our convention has been to insert a quote at the View level (we have 3 in the overall spec) and not at the model level.

Line 4361:  Drop reference to Dijkstra quote per previous recommendation.

Line 4369:  Need to add formal reference to IEEE-829 so paragraph would end with [IEEE-829] in all bold text.  NOTE:  REFERENCE TO IEEE-29  IS MISSING SECTION 1.6.  NEED TO ADD IT.  NOT SURE IF IT SHOULD BE A NORMATIVE OR NON-NORMATIVE REFERENCE.

Lines 4429 to 4450:  Drop Editor’s Note or make appropriate changes prior to public review.

Lines 4741 to 4742:  Need to correct broken cross reference.

Line 4995:  Drop Editor’s Note or make appropriate changes prior to public review.