Subject: for review and possible coordination with SOA-RAF: SAIF CD

All,

During last week’s call I reported on my phone call with Charlie Mead.  The attached is the HL7  Service-Aware Interoperability Framework -Canonical Definition (SAIF CD).  Charlie said several people in the HL7 architecture group read the latest SOA-RAF draft and found our thinking to be similar.  As he notes below, he is interested in areas where “we might harmonize or otherwise incorporate, cross-reference, etc. each other’s work.”    Note, this group has a Nov. 20 deadline, so we are talking about things that can be done quickly and not the beginning of lengthy writing commitments.

I invite you to review this document and suggest how we can most productively proceed.

Dr. Kenneth Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508

From: Mead, Charlie (NIH/NCI) [C] [mailto:meadch@mail.nih.gov]
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:25 PM
To: Laskey, Ken
Subject: SAIF CD

Ken –

As we discussed, here’s the SAIF CD document which was published this evening.  It’s my understanding that you will review the document over the next week or so and that you and I will then have another call to discuss how we might harmonize or otherwise incorporate, cross-reference, etc. each other’s work.  As I mentioned to you when we talked, this document will get enhanced a bit between now and Nov 20th when it will be submitted for normative HL7 ballot as a Draft Standard for Trial Use (an ANSI classification which I can explain to you if you don’t already know about it).  In particular, the current document will have a specific section added on formal testing procedures which can be used to determine if a given, organization-specific SAIF Implementation Guide (SAIF IG) is, in fact, compliant (note, the term if <<not>> “conformant”) with the SAIF CD.

As you are reviewing the document – which you can share with anyone you would like – please let me know if you have any questions on its content, etc.

Talk to you soon –

Take care,

charlie