Subject: Comments on HL7 ArB SAIF-CD document

Ken,

As promised a few off-the-cuff comments to the SAIF-CD document.

Introduction is excellent and well structured;

SAIF definition and use of “cross-boundary” is good and clear (maybe less clumsy than our own);

Concise introduction to semiotic concepts of sign, meaning and code (possibly too simplistic – Saussure model rather than Jakobsen – as it skips over role of context in communication);

Interesting separation between technical interoperability language and “governance language” to express formal linkages between definitions of shared purpose;

Basic notion of “shared purpose” resulting in “defined value for the various parties involved…” – presumably leads to an intended RWE, in our terms? Am I reading that correctly?;

Role-based perspectives – “critical to predictable and tractable success” – good link back to ISO 10746-3 (RM-ODP);

Interesting that they reference Thomas Erl’s latest SOA Governance work – impressive (only been out a few weeks!)

Contrast between dynamic (behavioural) and static (informational) semantics – I like this: we sort of bumped into this when we were focussed on (static) information models rather than looking at the more dynamic aspects – we might have gotten to conclusion on some of the service execution work quicker if we had seen/known some of this earlier, but what the heck…

Their distinction between the canonical model and the implementation guidelines deals, elegantly IMO, with the same distinction we struggled with between an RA and the RAF…

Governance Framework – again familiar material (cf our Section 3) and very welcome.

“Politically”, I think it also underlines our contention that the Open Group Reference Architecture and SOA ontology are troublesome – SAID seems to be much closer to us and I would be happy to see further cooperation with these guys in hammering home our (common) perspective …

If I had the bandwidth and/or a research student at hand, it would make for a great comparative analysis but that’s just not going to happen. Instead, and in summary, I would say: without wanting to pin down and map this, I have a sense of a very high level of similarity in concepts and approaches. The fact that there isn’t 100% correspondence I think is less relevant than the fact that a different community has come to very similar conclusions as we have and through very similar processes, is a validation for both communities of the work that has been done.

HTH, regards,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278