Subject: RE: [soa-rm-ra] about "service-oriented business collaborations"

Michael,

I do not see what problem in the current document you are trying to fix.

It sounds like an attempt to re-open a debate on something we have been round and round again on, and I, for one, have no appetite to take this any further.

For the record, I still don’t agree with you! ;-)

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

From: Mike Poulin [mailto:mpoulin@usa.com]
Sent: Sunday, 13 November, 2011 15:42
To: Ken Laskey; Lublinsky, Boris; Peter F Brown; soa-rm-ra@lists.oasis-open.org

Ken,

matter is in that when saying A people expect to you to say B. It is not the first time when we discuss things and I'm trying to address them from business-to-IT perspective but getting "resistence" based on pure IT point of view. I think, this is not the right position - SOA does have the general meaning and it is not wise to pull SOA back into IT.

If we do this - lock ourselves in IT - why so many efforts are spent on stating that service is not Web Service and that service is "the means by which the needs of a consumer are brought together with the capabilities of a provider"? Where is IT in this definition? If we just IT dudes, we should say >> a service is the technical means by which the technical needs of a consumer are brought together with the technical capabilities of a provider<<

SOA ecosystem, based on the definition of the service from RM, is not IT thing anymore. Though  an IT component are our primary interest, no business situations where service, collaborations, and outcomes can be done outside of SOA ecosystem - this is the _major_ and the _gratest_ discovery stated in RAF. __No other standard  can beat this so far!__

BTW, if we do not admit and comprehand what has been done in RM and RAF already, the ODP standard will jump ahead of us in sense that they include non-technical meaning into the concept of service, and this is much more realistic and practical.

At the end of the day, I am asking only about removing "service-oriented" label from 'business process' and 'business collaboration'. If you afraid of doing this, I will do it in my next book anyway.

Thanks,
- Michael